Among all of the different roofing materials possible (e.g. zinc roofing, tile, aluminum, copper, wood or glass roof or green roof …), the Colorbond Roofing is part of the preferred options. A colorbond roof consists of plated steel sheets. The latter is usually galvanized, that is to say, it is covered with a thin layer of zinc offering more resistance to water. Steel is also lacquered giving it better protection against wear. Note that this is a stainless material that does not fear corrosion or rust.
The colorbond roof can also be tinted to enjoy a different color from natural grey. The most common colors are green, brown and red. In the shape of a U or flat, a steel jail usually measures between 60cm and 1.1m wide for a length of up to 8m. It exists in different thicknesses. A steel jail weighs on average 5kg. It is therefore compatible with roofs with a slight slope of between 5% and 15%.
The colorbond roof has many advantages making it a very popular material for roofing.
- It is a very strong and very resistant material that does not fear climatic events, mold and humidity. This type of roof has a lifespan of up to 100 years.
- The steel tank is also waterproof and offers very good fire resistance.
- This solution is available offers a very good price/quality ratio, since the square meter usually costs between $20 and $40.
- Its solidity does not prevent the roofing colorbond roof to be relatively light. As we have seen, a tray weighs on average 5 kg, although this weight depends on the dimensions of the jail and its thickness. In any case, this makes the colorbond roof relatively simple to install and it is not likely to be too heavy for the building.
- There is a wide choice of sizes, but also shapes, styles, and colors. The steel deck roof offers a clean and modern aesthetic without being too original that suits all styles of architecture and combines with both concrete and wood.
If you want to get rid of slight traces of corrosion, it will rust spots should be removed with a soft wire brush. Then the surface is cleaned of dust, dirt, old paint, washed, degreased, dried and painted over the oil paint. It is to be remembered that for this purpose, no color composition is appropriate, for example, alkyd varnish in contact with the surrounding zinc will lose its properties due to the oxidation reaction, and the life of this coating will be reduced to one year or even less. You want to use a special color, high elasticity, and good adhesion. The best thing for this fit acrylic priming enamel, which has a long life. The only cost of such paint is over the cost of conventional oil paints.
But in any case, such a measure will be cheaper to replace the roof, and the roof looks painted more colorful than galvanized. Paint is applied with a brush, roller or spray gun.
If you want to eliminate cracks appearing between the leaves, they may be soldering. First, the joints of the rust emery paper are cleaned and then the leaves are mated together. The next step – surface treatment with zinc chloride. Soldering the soldering surface is required, the pre-ground salvia and heated. Then solder is applied to the ends of the leaves. When everything has cooled down, the excess solder is removed.